Monday 8 February 2010

Thinking about the characters...

I think one of the hardest parts of doing the character designs for the script and Dr. Who project, is that fact that the characters already exist. With this in mind, even knowing that they can be completely different and nothing to do with the Dr.Who programme, it is hard to not imagine the characters when thinking about designs.

I would like to try and create characters that are completely different and original from the existing ones. I think I'm going to pretend its a completely clean slate and not even consider what the Dr. in the show looks like.

So far, I have found some really brilliant books in the library giving all kinds of tips and ideas of where to start when designing a character. Using these I have made my own notes and quick sketches just for a few initial ideas and to try and get into character designing a bit more...




To get more of an idea of the character I am creating I had a look online for description of him. I found some pretty good ones and even found some of the background to the character...


'The Doctor is a Time Lord, an extraterrestrial from the planet Gallifrey, who travels time and space in an internally vast time machine called the TARDIS. He belongs to the Prydonian chapter of Time Lords, who are notoriously devious.He grew up in a house on the side of a mountain, the son of a Gallifreyian explorer and a human mother. The Doctor has two hearts which allows him to go without air, an internal body temperature of 15–16 degrees Celsius and he occasionally exhibits a super-human level of stamina...'

Using this and by gathering inspiration pictures and character designs by other artists I will decide on the style I want to create the characters in and begin to sketch out a few different ideas.

No comments: