Thursday 4 March 2010

backgrounds - colour development

After developing my backgrounds and drawing over them a few times to get them right, I finally settled on ones I was happy with and started doing some colour trials. To find the best way to colour them, I used my inspirational images and examples of the artwork style I like and wanted to stylise the animation in and used these as a base. Using one of my backgrounds, the reception I tried out a few ideas...







From these I decided on the final style that I preferred and though would look best as the background for the animation and with the characters I designed. The first few attempts I thought worked ok, but I wasn't sure how they would look with the characters and I couldn't get them as neat and detailed using the technique. I then combined using watercolours and patels which made the image stand out a little more, however in the last version I used pencil to outline and highlight some areas which I found to be more effective. I then went on to colour the rest of the background designs in the same style...






From here, I will take them into photoshop and add in some extra details, for example highlight areas, put in some shadows, make some finishing touches to really complete the background pieces.

No comments: