Sunday 1 May 2011

Website, showreel and CV...

Over the past few weeks I have been working on some designs for a website and trying to work out the best way of creating one as well as putting together a showreel and adjusting my CV.

Having gathered and organising all the work I want to put on it, my cv, showreel etc. I came up with a basic website design and drew up some of the ideas below...







Having looked at lots of example websites it seems you have to go one of a few ways. Either very smart and swish and professional, or fit it to what you do and make it arty and more personal and a little different. When thinking about the design I was going for the arty personal feel.
I chose to use Moonfruit simply because I know very little about website design and it seems very simple and nice to use, and it is really easy to put everything you want on there in the way you want it.
So I had a go at putting it all together using the designs I drew up. Here are some example pages below...












It's all working quite well and all the pages link to the right places and I think my CV is stylised in the right way to fit with the branding of the website.

However... I have a few problems with it....

Firstly...I'm really not sure about the designs I have used. Although I think they do kind of show the style I work in and the type of animation I do, I don't think it looks very professional...it looks more like a website design to promote a children's TV show or aimed at children. Even though, if I manage to get a job in the industry, this could well be an area I would work in, I don't think I want my own personal website to have this kind of style. It almost looks too childish.

Secondly...because I did upload all my own images for the design of the website to try and make it look more personalised, I now have very limited space to actually put my artwork and animation up and will have to pay for extra storage to do this. Although this is an option and something I was likely to do in the future anyway, I think I would rather just get all my work up now in a nice neat way using a template, and then pay for my own domain and set up a website from scratch later on when I have a little more time to put into it.

So...basically...I am going to start over again, use a basic (but probably more professional and smarter) template for my website, upload all of the important work first...then try and make it more personalised if I have storage space left...


Take 2...

No comments: